Search This Blog

Thursday 30 June 2011

SA’s Puma jersey a joke
The boys smile for the camera after
the announcement of Puma
being the official new sponsor for
Bafana. 

By Mohau Ramashidja
When SAFA CEO Leslie Sedibe said, "I can assure you that when Bafana play against Burkina Faso next month, they will be in the new Puma jerseys." A well of excitement was tired up in most South African football fans.
But today most South Africans curse June the 7th as the day a culture of euphoria was brought dead to the ground by releasing Puma as the new national technical sponsor.  

Choose your favorite


 


New SA Jersey
  
Old and over-used 

                  











“PUMA is delighted to announce that it has entered into a new partnership with the South African Football Association to become the official technical supplier to the SAFA. Starting immediately and lasting beyond the next two FIFA World Cups, PUMA will provide the official playing kits for all South African teams including the National ‘A’, Youth and Women’s teams.” Quoted from puma.com
As South Africa said its goodbyes to the dazzling Addidas jersey, only good memories like Siphiwe Tshabalala’s 2010 FIFA world opening goal would remain.
Since Puma made its debut on the African soil in 1997 by becoming Cameroon’s official sponsor; South Africa is the 12th prey to fall on the paws of the predator, following: Namibia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Algeria, Senegal, Malawi, Togo, Burkina Faso, Morocco, And the African champions Egypt.
Being aware that the contract with the new technical supplier will last for a period of seven years; covering the next two FIFA world cup tournaments; S.A fans sought a platform to lash out their grievances concerning the new jersey.
Various websites such as www.lifeissavage.com and www.Faraitoday.com turned to be that voice most S.A fans needed, here are some of the comments which where found on these sites. “Little too old for my liking. The green reminds me of the color from the safari outfits my Afrikaans teacher used to were,” responded lifeissavage.com
 “I rest my case… this is a joke! How was this design selected what was the brief? Who selected this jersey? No no no no,” stated Mzwakhe Mhlongo.
“Hayi I have to say, I had to look at it 4 times cause I was thing maybe I’m missing something but hayi, really looks unfinished too empty and dull. I’d be ashamed plying in a jersey like that as the national team hayi no,” stated Tandeka Masilela.
“No! No! No! This is not a national jersey no! I don’t like it but I hate it! Even if it’s for free I won’t take it. It’s good for Baroka FC (amateur club in the Vodacom League) I think. Come on come on Mr. President what’s wrong,” Stated Trntombela.
It is clear that majority of South Africans agree that Puma failed to come up with a suitable Jersey that would compliment Bafana Bafana’s progress in the FIFA ranking. Hope the SAFA President got the message.
Sources:



No comments:

Post a Comment