Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 October 2011


 Sundowns host trails in Soshanguve

Sundowns development coach Enrique Doran Dias with a group of selected
under 13 players after they were trailed.
By Mohau Ramashidja
Sundowns hosted soccer trails at Giant stadium in Soshanguve last Saturday. Various teams in and around Soshanguve participated in the trails to prove their worth of forming part of the Sundowns devlopment team. “We don’t want anyone  who would be happy to play in small leagues like Castle and Vodacom League. We want International quality,” said Sundowns development Head Coach, Sam Mbatha.


Under 13 players going all out in the field of play

The soccer field was divided in to four sections to accommodate all who were present for the trails. 15 minutes of football turned out to be more intense for the players as they battled one another for a spot in the development; utilising every moment as an opportunity to impress the coaches.

 Amongst those who managed to impress was 12 year-old former Tuks development player Tshegofatso Ndlovu who was happy to be amongst those who were selected. “I feel great because I was previously playing for Tuks Development and had to quit because my school was far away from Tuks and I couldn’t come up with finances to get me to Pretoria,” he said.

Another hopeful made it to the Sundowns’ list; while other players played out of frustration and showing dangerous slide tackles to catch the Sundowns coaches’ attention; 13 year old midfielder Nkosinathi Mhlanga shared his secret on how he got to be the only one who got selected from his local team.

“I always knew that that I was going to be selected, I previously went on trails at Platinum Stars FC and this is where I was taught what is needed from a player. I just focused on the basics of football like trapping, marking and passing and that was it,” he said. Mhlanga’s coach Johannes Matime was not surprised that Mhlanga was the only player who got selected in the team. “He is a good listener and applies everything we tell him,” said Matime.

With the last round of trails bringing the day’s event to an end; another 13 year old defender who surprised his coach was Frans Mamolele from Future stars FC. Knowing very well that he was a defender he trailed as a goalkeeper and got selected.  “I was motivated by Ofentse Mosiliki who is our number one goalkeeper in the team. This being my first attempt on the poles, I managed to give a good performance and I’m happy that I got selected,” said Mamolele.

Former Barcelona FC Development coach Joan Nanoel Nena was quite impressed with the football talent Soshanguve had to offer. “They are a very good talented players but they just need to work on their technique and follow the same methodology to improve their football skills,” he said

No comments:

Post a Comment